Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Year the Swallows Came Early




Groovy said, "Today I saw Daddy being taken away in a police car to jail. I don't know what's going on. I'm sure it's all a big mistake. We need to help him."
"I know Groovy," she said finally.
"You know? How do you know?" Groovy replied.
"Because baby," she said, "I was the one who called the police."


So out of all of the books I've blogged about, I would definitely have to say this one was the best. The Year the Swallows Came Early is about a little girl, Elanor Robinson. Or more famously known as Groovy. Groovy's just a young girl, trying to figure out the world. Her father is put in jail, and her friend's mother, who she thought was long-gone, has returned. Groovy starts to listen to what a horoscope had told her,

to expect the unexpected.

Soon, everything around her begins to get turned upside down. What's happening to her? And to make things even more nuts, the swallows come early this season too. Her family is quickly falling apart? What will she do?


Groovy has a cooking notebook full of her recipes she's made with the help of her father. In the book, she makes chocolate-covered strawberries. So I decided to find myself a little recipe on how to make some. I found this recipe on the Food Network website. Copy and paste them into Word and make them for yourself!

Ingredients
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1 pound strawberries with stems (about 20), washed and dried very well

Directions
Put the semisweet and white chocolates into 2 separate heatproof medium bowls. Fill 2 medium saucepans with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat; set the bowls of chocolate over the water to melt. Stir until smooth. (Alternatively, melt the chocolates in a microwave at half power, for 1 minute, stir and then heat for another minute or until melted.)

Once the chocolates are melted and smooth, remove from the heat. Line a sheet pan with parchment or waxed paper. Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the fruit into the dark chocolate, lift and twist slightly, letting any excess chocolate fall back into the bowl. Set strawberries on the parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the strawberries. Dip a fork in the white chocolate and drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped strawberries.

Set the strawberries aside until the chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.


I just finished making some and they were delicious. Very sweet, but delicious. Don't forget to check out these other blogs in the tour!
A Christian Worldview of Fiction, All About Children’s Books, Becky’s Book Reviews, Booking Mama, Cafe of Dreams, Dolce Bellezza, Fireside Musings, Homeschool Buzz, Hyperbole, KidzBookBuzz.com, Looking Glass Reviews, Maw Books Blog, Never Jam Today, Novel Teen, Reading is My Superpower

4 comments:

Becky said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It really is a great book. I love Groovy and her friends.

Anonymous said...

Great review, Christy.

I loved the book, too, so I'm not surprised that it's your favorite of the books you've blogged about so far.

Kathryn Fitzmaurice said...

Thank you very much for hosting me on your blog. I can't tell you how much it touched me to hear you liked the book. Thank you!

Christy said...

The book was a quick-read for me and I'm sure I'll be reading it again!